Click the following link to return to the current challenge website: code.acgov.org
Give us your APP IDEAS!
Are you a resident of Alameda County and would like to suggest an app idea for the coders to develop? Are you a developer and want to suggest an idea for your fellow coders to "chew on"? Can't come to the hackathon but you still want to contribute? Have you ever thought to yourself, "I wish there was an app for that?"
Send us your ideas!!
- "Expand the Mobile App street light reporter to include other common problems like pot holes, graffiti, missing/broken mirrors at blind intersections, missing traffic signs, etc." - Anonymous
- "Mobile App to report street light problems. Could be part of an adopt-a-light program." - Anonymous
- "Can we adapt Boston's "Street Bump" for AlCo? Is AlCo responsible for street conditions?" - Dan T.
- "A unified "What do to in AC on this night" app that scrapes web sites and feeds of your choice, learns your interests, and populates your calendar." - Dan T.
- "Create a public online Auction App of the County Surplus Property." - Paula F.
- "I want an app that explains the county budget." - Anonymous
- "." - Anonymous
Here are some of the best ideas from our first hackathon...
- "I want to check out books from the library using my smartphone." - Wei-min
Update: The winning team from our first hackathon has published an app for this in iTunes. Check it out: Bookit!
- "Build a mobile app that shows a restaurant's health inspection ratings." - Annonymous
Update: A team at our first hackathon developed an app for this. Check it out: 510eat.org/
- "I would like a mobile app (lets call MyHome) which has 'one stop shop' info for local alameda county residents. Information should include Local Schools, Parks, Hotels, banks, entertainments, Maps, Local events based on the alameda residence address. Taking this concept further, the app should also include homeowner's property related information such as Property assessment, Property taxes amount & due dates with reminders, Trending of local home values in their zipcode and other related mortguage related info such as HARP, FHA, Refinance, Rates etc." - Mack S
Update: The second place winning app from our first hackathon displays info about parks and recreation areas in Alameda County. Check it out: ACPR Finder
Update: Another team at the hackathon developed an app that finds points of interest in Alameda County. Check it out: ACPOI
Update: Alameda County staff have built an app that allows you to lookup and pay your property taxes right from your Apple mobile device. You can also lookup property assessment as well as parcel maps. Download it at: AC Property
- "I would like to report street lamp outtages and pot holes from my smartphone and the system automatically detects my location using the gps receiver in my smartphone." - Wei-min
- "A site that shows all the schools in my neighborhood: from pre-school to high school, public, charter and private, by radius (1 mile, 2 miles, 3 miles)" - Annonymous
- "A county map app that tells us when we're in an incorporated or unincorporated part of the county based upon GPS. Also, highlights local county resources and historical landmarks with facts." - Dexter C.
- "Create a map of senior services available, including their hours and location, contact info, etc." - Deena